Saturday, October 09, 2004

Bitterweet Project

The concept of Bittersweet was cultural journalism dedicated to preserving the crafts, lore, legends and personalities of the Ozarks. Articles touch a wide range of subject areas. Included are such diverse pioneer craft and industry as wooden toy making and rope making.
And Blackberry Dumplings for Dessert, winter 1982
The Roper family raised and milled their own flour, as did most every other family. "My husband had 500 pounds of Orla flour piled up upstairs at our house for me to cook with when I married him. Oh, mercy, that flour was soft, and hard to make a biscuit with when I'd never made biscuits anyhow!"
Crepe Paper Flowers; Homemade flowers for Decoration Day Spring 1983

Irene Smittle gently handles a morning glory that she has just finished. She learned how to make these flowers from her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day.