Monday, March 10, 2008

On Demand Fabric Printing

UPDATE: March 12
The survey is closed but you can visit the Spoonflower blog where you can sign up to be notified of the Beta launch. Spoonflower also wants to see our projects and products. Send in your pictures.

This was brought to my attention by Diane Gilleland, Portland's own author of CraftyPod . Thanks so much! I haven't been this excited about a resource in years!!!!

Spoonflower is the brain child of Stephen Fraser, formerly of LuLu.com and owner of Bug-Eyed Marketing, an online marketing agency.

Custom, on demand fabric printing. Yes, please! I want it now! Spoonflower isn't up and running yet but they want to hear from us. Are you interested in this service? If so, visit Spoonflower and fill out the survey.

Thinking about the potential here is causing my brain to explode. I could have my dolls printed, quilt squares, custom fabric with my logo for bags, a cool border print with a different field print on a panel to be sewn into a skirt. What if I were able to buy fabric or projects designed by my favorite illustrators and photographers? That's only the beginning of the thoughts.

It appears that there will be different weights and fibers available. I was only able to choose one on the survey but in reality, I hope that all the choices will be available. Wouldn't it be nice to have the same design on heavy and light weights? One of the choices is upholstery weight. Think bags and art furniture!

Digital printing of fabric has only been available to high end designers of clothing and furnishings, far out of reach of the small business or individual crafter. I'm looking forward to learning more about the process involved and what skills I will need to provide in order to get fabric printed.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:06 PM

    my my my! How interesting. I think he'll end up with more business than he knows what to do with. Thanks for letting me know. I'll pass the word along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing. Boy we missed you and are glad you are back! There are tons of artists I'd love to have accounts where I could order their designs printed on fabrics. Dover publications alone would keep me happy. I tried bubble jet set & it was OK, but a bit of a pain all in all. I'd much rather order the fabric already printed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celina,
    I'm glad to be back. I decided to stop taking my daytime pain meds so I can think again. meggiecat gives my life a boost in the useful department.
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up to be notified. I am anxious to find out just what they will be offering. I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.