Friday, March 07, 2008

Fabric on the walls

I grew up in Orange County, California. At that time the El Toro Marine Base was open so some of my friends were officer's kids. I came to admire their mothers more than I can tell you. These women really had it together. One clever trick they used for decorating was to apply fabric to the walls with liquid starch because it was not a permanent application and was very easily removed. I've been wanting to post about this technique. The good folks at Linit have complete instructions. One thing they don't mention is that the technique works with small motifs cut from starched fabric (so it doesn't fray).

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    Thank you for this and so many of your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so interesting that you post this. I just saw a "homes" show and this guy had cashmere on his walls. They were gorgeous! Not sure they apply it with starch, but another style indeed.

    I really think you could do some interesting stuff with fabric and starch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH this is truly fantastic! I have never heard this BUT I am so going to try now!
    hugs,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a former military wife, I recognize this technique. At various posts around the world, I've done this as well as other efforts such as "painted" my kitchen cabinets with Contact paper--all things that can be easily removed without causing damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about a blast from the past...I was stationed at El Toro back in the early 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you were from Orange County. I grew up in Irvine and know the base too. It's incredible how the area has changed over the years. I miss the cows and orange trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I have what may be an odd question! I just moved into a new place, and one entire wall of the dining room is mirrored. I don't want to go to the trouble of removing the mirrors (it's three floor-to-ceiling panels, so removal would be tricky), so I'd love to use fabric to disguise it.

    I've been reading about the starch technique but have no idea if this would work on a mirrored surface? I'm thinking the starch would just slide right off the mirrors. My other thought is to just get some great-looking curtain rods and hang curtains all the way across the wall.

    If anyone has any ideas for me I'm all ears! This mirrored wall is the first thing you see when you walk into the house so I'm anxious to do something with it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.