Monday, March 10, 2008

The Future is Now

I've shown you what other companies can do for you and now I want to show you what you can do for yourself. Desktop manufacturing is an exciting concept.

CraftRobo is a personal cutting plotter. This is an amazing machine, priced in my range. Want your own vinyl wall decals, tags or shaped labels for your products, fancy cut picture mat, stickers? Watch the video on the CraftRobo site. I spoke with a rep. for supplier Ordway Sign Supply and want this package for the CraftRobo Pro $895. I like the pro because it cuts wider material and can handle materials on a roll and cuts faster but the CraftRobo itself costs less and is a great tool. Cutters for heavier materials like mats and 45 and 60 degrees are in the accessories. Look here for CraftRobo for $329. The CraftROBO can accept material up to 11" wide with a cutting area of 8" by 39"


Don't want to design your own but still want wall decals and words and die cuts,cards and boxes? Check out the Cricut from Provo Craft . Here is a Google Shopping Search that shows this product at WalMart for $184. I saw a demonstration of this machine. Slick, easy to use and understand.


Yes, you can have your own desktop laser cutter. VersaLaser™ says it can transform images or drawings on your computer screen into real items made out of an amazing variety of materials…wood, plastic, fabric, paper, glass, leather, stone, ceramic, rubber… and it’s as easy to use as your printer. Check here to see what VersaLaser does. Starting at $7,495. Out of my league for now but thinking about what it can do. Cut and incise my own buttons, the hardware or handle for a bag. So much more but just thinking about the potential puts my head in the clouds. Maybe it will come down in price in the future. Microwave ovens did!!


Even Sears is in the game with the Craftsman CompuCarve Computer-Controlled Compact Woodworking Machine. $1899.99. An accessory is a 3-D Scanning Probe that enables height mapping of existing surfaces and objects that can then be imported into the CarveWright software libraries for use on any project.
Reading the reviews.... this product may have some manufacturing quality control issues but then I did not buy one of the first Microwaves to come out either.


Beam me up Scottie. Replicator, I'll have this handbag, purple please.

4 comments:

  1. oh how fun is that?!!!! thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two killer great posts, Meggie! Thanks! All too cool to stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I have the cricut and it is sweet piece of machinery! Thanks for the great post!
    Hugs,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh customizable die cutter. That will go on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.