Friday, January 13, 2006

Vintage Postcards for Valentines

Some of these may be just the ticket for your valentines ;-)
Click the pictures for a larger image. Feel free to use them.
Would you be MY Valentine?


I've posted this one before but it cracks me up so here it is again.

This next one says:
En bavardant, sans qu'on s'en doute
L'amour nait au cours de la route
Not knowing much French I went to Babelfish but it didn't like the word nait.
The closest to a translation I could come was
While chattering, without one suspecting it
the love nait with the course during the road
Any help here? Patricia? Anybody speak French?
Note:
Dixie sent an e-mail with this tranlation.
Literal:
Chatting without suspecting
Love is born along the way
Idiomatic:
The gullible gossip will be seduced
Oh no!! LOL!! Not exactly suitable for a valentine. I'm giggling because my ignorance could really lead me into trouble! It's still a good image for some other project like advice to teenagers.

5 comments:

  1. Here I am to help you out, plus I'm a translator ...but from french to portuguese ...even thou I live in France, I'm sorry for the tranlation into english.

    "While chattering, without one suspecting it
    love borns along of the road"

    literal translation of course.

    Naît = Naître means to born.

    Thanks for the pictures I'm going to used them for sure...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sofia! A translator and an artist. I'm impressed.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I just found your blog this week. Love. It.
    I'm teaching in france this year and, frankly, my spoke french is much better than written. Anyway, the second line, as you might have guess, is like, "love comes down the road"
    And bavardant is used for chatting. Less severe.
    I'm living in a tiny village with a drop-dead great antique store. They have TONS of old postcards, so I can see if I could dig up some cool ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:27 AM

    hahaha That postcard makes me laugh too! I think I'm definitely going to have to use that somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:21 AM

    You are a lovely person to share all this beauty with us. Thank you and don't lose heart...you are a beauty yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.