Saturday, January 14, 2006

Fashion-Incubator

I want to share one of my favorite blogs with you.
Always interesting, always informative.
Kathleen Fasanella's Fashion-Incubator.
Kathleen is the author of
The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing.

She says "I'm an apparel industry pattern maker. As there is no licensing or credentialing of pattern makers in the industry, no one can be described as a "master pattern maker". Empirically, it's another story (usually to my boundless dismay); I prefer to be known as a steward. By steward I mean that I'm interested in all things related to pattern making. I collect the information, create information and do my best to make the information available in the interests of increasing professionalism of the trade. However, this site won't be strictly limited to pattern making and you'll find a myriad of personal and off-beat topics."

While the focus of Fashion-Incubator is designer-entrepreneurs in the sewn apparel industry I think there is good advice here for the designer-entrepreneurs of any product. Discussion of linesheets and dealing with retailers, hang tags etc. with tons of info about putting a line together that could also apply to your line of greeting cards for instance. There's also tutorials that have been of interest to me as a home sewer. Be sure to check her sidebars and see the depth of information she's shared. Kathleen's conversational style of writing and her wit make Fashion-Incubator a must read for me. She's a terrific teacher.

4 comments:

  1. oooooooh! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful resource that I was not familiar with - thank you so much for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meggie! Thanks for the compliments. I endeavor to always be worthy of your time.
    my best
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:22 AM

    What a great site Meggie--thanks for sharing this...my daughter wants to be a fashion designer is doing drawings--but I want her to be aware of the entire concept of the A-Z of fashion design (i.e. the nitty gritty)...this is an excellent resource!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.