Thursday, August 04, 2005

How to handknit rickrack

From Redlipstick.
Done as an edging or trim on tiny needles, or on giant needles for a scarf, this simple but fun-to-knit original pattern is a handknit version of an old favorite.

I love the look of rickrack and think this might be a good way to embellish a purchased sweater.
I have a couple of balls of lovely white mohair that is very thin. Another thing for the list of a zillion projects.

On another subject.....Have any of you tried any sweater surgery? My mother gave me two beautiful cashmere sweater sets. One cream, one pink. I would love to wear them but they are a little too big in the body and a little too long. The main thing I want to do with them is to remove the ribbing at the hems. I am in a quandry about the proper technique to use to hem these very expensive sweaters. A satin ribbon hem? I don't know. I'm less worried about shaping the side seams but want the hems to equal the quality of the sweaters.

4 comments:

  1. Fun pattern! I love rickrack too! I may try this out, since I've been out of knitting for a few months now. As for sweater surgery, I have no advice, but I do know there are a ton of great knitting bloggers out there who may have the answer for you. Have you tried asking the question at craftster or something of the ilk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mademoiselle a.8:10 AM

    http://www.deborahmerlo.com/diy.html

    her july 10 post is, I think, something you will like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That knitted rickrack is fascinating! May have to try that just for fun sometime. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:43 AM

    About the sweater surgery: Have you been to www.chicknits.com? Bonne Marie has altered sweaters to fit. She might have some ideas that could work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.